Author Topic: Springbank Speedway  (Read 6989 times)

December 10, 2016, 12:14:50 PM
Read 6989 times

Sue Wilson

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I received this email and was wondering if anyone had any information.  Please contact Norm at his email.

Thanks.

Sue

Name: Norm Ellefson
E-mail: e.racer@hotmail.com

Comments: Does anyone in you assoc. have any pictures from Springbank Speedway. Way back in the 50's.I would like some pics from that time. Jack Landage #66 car, Len Erlam in the Jimmy, The Magic shop #5 driven by me Dave Kroker's #41 OK rubber welders car.    
Sue Wilson
Administrator
Director - Licensing
Western Canada Motorsport Association

December 10, 2016, 01:41:05 PM
Reply #1

Doug Campbell

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Might be a record of that in CSCC's photo album in their clubhouse. It goes back to the 50's. wonder if anyone's made a digital record of the photo Book? Might check with Shawn Bishop to see if he is aware of one.
Yellow Z06
Spec Miata 91

December 11, 2016, 09:03:09 AM
Reply #2

Tachyon

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Springback Speedway??

I recall helping sort 20 to 30 year old photos and some other historical stuff in the old CSCC library in 1982 or 1983, and that time there some old pictures of race weekends at the Commonwealth air base at Vulcan (?) and races on the air base and runways where Mount Royal University/College is now located. Cars raced along side a narrow 2 lane Road where Crowchild Trail now runs.

I do not recall a Springbank Speedway.  There was another dirt oval right in the centre of Rosebud Alberta.

I also recall some photos of the Dirt oval at Standard Alberta  where Canada's first Indy 500 driver practised and raced.  Eldon Rasmussen's and his family had a race track on their farm.

I'm not sure where all those photos went.  Barry Samson and few others were the lead motivators to do something with them.

December 11, 2016, 12:33:18 PM
Reply #3

10cc

• Information
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
  • ARCA Race Director
Found this at:  http://www.canadianracer.com/track-display.asp?trackid=springbank&querytype=detail&extra=history

Springbank Speedway

Calgary, AB

Years in Operation: 1952-1958

Track Configurations:
1/4 mile paved oval

Status
Closed

Notes:
Owned by Charlie Greenly who had built the original Speedway Park in Ontario

Construction work was done by Percy, Reg and Russell Booth

Built on the unused Chinook Jockey Club horse track

Original name was going to be Chinook Raceway

The property became a gravel pit

G. Brooke Carter
#10 ST5
ARCA Race Director

December 12, 2016, 08:43:28 AM
Reply #5

Tachyon

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Thanks Brooke, Very cool!
I have often wondered how many race tracks were located around Alberta after World War II.  It seems every community was trying to establish a track.
We also had the era of the Barn Stormers in aircraft and then the  so called "HELL Drivers" doing stunts in the cars at every Community Fair Grounds.
Very different era. Gary L.