Poll

What's most important to you in Spec Miata? (pick 2)

Budget - I want to control some spending.
Contingency - I want to the chance to win some money/free tires if I do well.
Regional Consistenct - I want myself and other racers to visit other tracks and do well.
Competition - I don't care what tires we are on as long as the racing is close.
Growth - I support some money from a tire deal going towards growth initiatives.
I'm happy with what we have; please don't change it.

Author Topic: A potential spec tire change?  (Read 607 times)

September 20, 2017, 01:58:59 PM
Reply #15

dc2696

• Information Offline
do you think the cost savings would bring back some drivers?
I think the tire costs aren't keeping the drivers away. 
I think a few got hit by the economy and some others don't like the treatment they get at Castrol.
From an economics standpoint:
To race a four event season currently you have to spend $2000 on tires, $2400 in entry fees, maybe $400 on gas and this is after you have a car, all the safety gear and a license.
If you want to be in the front, the tire budget goes to $4000.
So: Mid- pack $4800.  Front-runner $6800
Best case the new tires last 3 weekends, we'd have to buy 6 at min, which at $200 / tire is $1200, so $800 in savings in a $4000 season racing budget.

The concern I have with the Hoosiers is the performance drop off curve as many have said, the difference from stickers to second weekend tires is pretty huge.
Maybe we could restrict the entire pack to 8 hoosiers / season

-Trent

Double that budget and you're still under what I've spent each season in the past two seasons, racing isn't cheap that's for certain.

The SM7 doesn't drop off that bad at all though. I suppose people have different ideals and treatment of the tires but if you manage them carefully I'm seeing less than 0.5s loss from sticker to cord.

Edit: I'll elaborate a little more here.

My experience thus far has been that flipping tires is 100% necessary to get all the life out of them before you see cords on the outer edge and still have tread to use on the rest of the tire. Now this adds extra cost for sure but if you are wasting a lot of the tire then you're throwing money out already so I think it's worth it, plus there are a few kijiji tire guys that will do 10$/tire swaps.

Now how often or when do you flip? I'm flipping after 4-HC (Quali+3 Races)

So it usually works like this; Stickers for Quali, wheels come off until the 30min race, then are used for the remaining pts races (Not KOTR) that weekend. These tires are then flipped and used for Practice, Warm up, 17min race and KOTR the next weekend. They are then removed and piled with the rest of the take offs in a "best of the rest" pile. These tires are then put on a 3rd set of spare wheels as just in case tires (flat spot/puncture/loaners to help other out).

But what about lap times you slub! I wanna go fast!!?

Well I've found if you follow this flip strategy that the flippers are actually in great shape for all these sessions, running as close as 0.2s behind brand new stickers in similar conditions (<-- that part is key to measuring consistency). In the last race last weekend Chris Semanciw put a clinic on using my "bad" tires (aka the flippers that had all the run time on them ready to come off as per me) and ran 0.15s faster lap and 8/14 laps he was faster than I was on good tires! So needless to say the tires have potential it's just a matter of finding a way to get that last bit out of them.

Now how does one go faster on worse tires?

Good question. Alignment is going to make a difference but I'm guessing its 99% driver, and the only way to get better is using up more sets and pushing them and yourself harder each time. Or ask Chris and maybe he'll tell us all :D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:30:43 PM by dc2696 »

September 20, 2017, 08:43:20 PM
Reply #16

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
  • WCMA Licensing Supervisor
I noticed this wasn't clearly stated; the purpose of this thread is not to decide.  Rule changes (as always) are decided by votes.

This is just so I can share what I've learned from testing, for us to discuss amongst ourselves and understand what matters to our fellow competitors.

Chris
Spec Miata #13

September 22, 2017, 08:39:21 AM
Reply #17

Doug Campbell

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
All actual decisions on a Spec Tire change will be made at the WCMA AGM on October 14 in Leduc. The purpose of this post is to gather opinions on what is important to our competitors before making that decision. The reason we have been testing Cooper/Avon tires, is that there is sponsorship potential from that company. We value your opinions, and will not be limiting discussions to any one persons view.
Yellow Z06
Spec Miata 91

September 22, 2017, 08:55:29 AM
Reply #18

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
All actual decisions on a Spec Tire change will be made at the WCMA AGM on October 14 in Leduc.

Since not everyone can/will attend the AGMs; I would suggest that we (or maybe this is a WCMA exec decision?) consider updating our methods to electronic polling.  MSR has this functionality built in:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/help/kb/SurveysAndElections

I know I can't make the AGM this year, but I will abstain my vote since I did the testing and was provide the tires at no cost to me.

Chris
Spec Miata #13

September 27, 2017, 05:06:48 PM
Reply #19

GTcalgary

I am going to run a set of Zestinos at the next event.  Cost is going to be in the $170 per tire range.  I will update after the event.  How did you find them Chris?  The ones I have are a little wider than the ones you tested but still about 5mm less than the SM7's

I'd like to hear more about those Zestino's actually. Price seems really good and that as a ~slick, the one benefit is that if they perform mostly like the SM7's, then it gives us more flexibility when 1) hosting out of region racers to be on similar footing and 2) that they have a similar performance envelope to the SM7 when practicing so we can be at our best if travelling to their regions with their required Hoosiers or RR's. 

September 27, 2017, 05:40:04 PM
Reply #20

GTcalgary

SM racers. It sounds like the WCMA is going to present you with an opportunity at their upcoming AGM and ask for your feedback.  I suggest you attend to hear it. More dialogue is good dialogue and we have very few opportunities in our busy schedules to do that.

The WCMA has always had the ability to govern rule changes for their championship classes of which SM is one.  They, along with myself and all of the Spec Miata Championship racers are going to do what we feel is best for the sport. The positive is that change and adaptation are good. Clearly there are growing pains and differences of opinion as to how to go about those changes.  I have removed some posts to try to re-simplify the discussion here. 

Without being too long winded, I was personally hoping to see more of a slick tire like the SM7 or RR that couldn't be shaved, along with significant sponsor support. Since I won't be at the AGM, if you'd like to talk to me more, you can reach me via the contact link on miatavsmiata.ca.  I won't be sending an email out to Spec Miata Championship racers in advance as once indicated.

September 27, 2017, 06:40:08 PM
Reply #21

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
I'd like to hear more about those Zestino's actually. Price seems really good and that as a ~slick, the one benefit is that if they perform mostly like the SM7's, then it gives us more flexibility when 1) hosting out of region racers to be on similar footing and 2) that they have a similar performance envelope to the SM7 when practicing so we can be at our best if travelling to their regions with their required Hoosiers or RR's.

I agree on the Zestinos; I'm very interested to see how they hold up to a couple weekends of our SM abuse.  Cooper has a two groove slick option as well; their tech guy suggested that they would be faster than the ZZRs that we tested, but would give up some longevity.

Another interesting comment came up at the last race weekend (sorry; I forget who said it) but apparently Fastech can get us the Toyo RRs right around that $200 mark as well.  They are no longer supporting the Canadian National Autoslalom (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) but they still sponsor NASA events so perhaps there is opportunity there.  They may be more resistant to the cycling out that some of our racers see with the SM7s; many of the guys in SoCal prefer them for this reason.

A shameless plug for a couple of other suggestions:
  - An alternative to black flags for leaving the racing surface: http://www.wcma.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1130.0
  - Best-of scoring: http://www.wcma.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1125.0

If you have ideas; please post them.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:47:51 AM by ChrisS »
Spec Miata #13

September 27, 2017, 09:47:59 PM
Reply #22

majormojo

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • WCMA Solosport Director
My understanding was that the Avon/Cooper tires could bring along some potential sponsorship/contingency money. I'd like to learn more about that scenario. Otherwise, I feel like there's no strong motivation to move away from the Hoosiers. Yes, a longer tire life would be nice, but I think that absent some significant cost savings or contingency program that would help us build the SM community, it's not a particularly compelling change. Most/many of us will be buying some SM7's anyway and having more than one tire type to manage is probably more hassle than it's worth.
Insert awesome race car here.

October 08, 2017, 01:59:35 PM
Reply #23

MattB

• Information Offline
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
My two bits...

Summary: If there's an 80% chance we can reduce tire costs by 25% then I'm in.

My thoughts:
Having more competitors is more fun and good for the sport. Entry fees and tire costs are ~50% of a SM racer's budget. As has been pointed out, it's not a Poor Man's sport, but reducing costs can only help to increase participation. Just as raising costs would tend to drive people away.

For those that want to travel it would be an inconvenience, but if looking at the local SM 'collective', I think we're better off taking our own region's interests as priority. If there's enough money floating around then we could even, as a group, decide to 'sponsor' visiting racers (first set of tires free!) and also sponsor those who travel (WCMA/NASCC/ARCA/Castrol Raceway Ambassadors). I wish we had more racers visiting from other regions but IMHO it's not enough of a reality to be a major factor. To my knowledge Chump, something with brand recognition that offers a product to very passionate group (endurance racers), has had virtually no success in attracting racers from other regions.

As for new tires being slower than SM7's, who cares... It's all relative. If you're concerned about beating a specific time, keep in mind that SM8/9/10's could very well be slower than SM7's.

I tried the Avon's and liked them. Didn't pick up lots of rubber like my SM7's tend to do. Cheaper if you flat spot one. Risk free vs staying with Hoosiers? Probably not. There are always unknown unknowns. But I'd be up for trying something different.

Cheers,
Matt

October 10, 2017, 07:38:22 AM
Reply #24

Doug Campbell

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
After discussions with Cooper Tires, we will have a proposal to present to all of the racers at the WCMA AGM. This proposal will include some sponsorship, but will not include an "exclusive" Spec tire change for Spec Miata or other classes. Although our testing of the Cooper/Avon ZZR tires this summer went well, there are also other less expensive tires than the Hoosier available, and Cooper is talking about making a faster 2 groove slick available next year, which has not been tested yet. More news at the AGM!
Yellow Z06
Spec Miata 91

October 22, 2017, 07:41:42 AM
Reply #25

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Sounds like there may be a new Hoosier coming with many of the characteristics we want in a year or two:

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/6612-tire-testing-2019-update/

Chris
Spec Miata #13