Poll

Do you want a 'best-of' points structure for the WCMA series?

Yes
No
Don't Matter

Author Topic: Switching to a 'Best-Of' points structure  (Read 886 times)

September 22, 2017, 07:08:46 AM
Read 886 times

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
  • Alberta Spec Miata Championship Coordinator
At last year's AGM having a best-of points structure was discussed but it never quite made it passed the goal post.  I still like the idea as this is amateur racing (and as Gerard pointed out; a requirement of the Mazda contingency) and I know it had been a factor in at least one competitor choosing to sit part of the season. I'm hopeful it will move forward this year, but had a thought on how to further support it / have a plan B:

Why don't we poll the SM class?  We should be able to do this electronically to be inclusive of everyone; not just those at the AGM.  I will check in MSR.  If we can show that the majority of the SM racers support the idea, it should make it easier for the idea to move forward.  And failing that; just have the WCMA implement it for SM (I bet the other classes would follow suit shortly).

Thoughts?  Other suggestions for scoring changes you'd like to see?

Chris

Spec Miata #13

October 08, 2017, 02:13:42 PM
Reply #1

MattB

• Information Offline
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
What's the downside to 'best of' points structure?

October 08, 2017, 02:35:50 PM
Reply #2

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
It would be harder to calculate, but some spreadsheet magic ought to take care of that.  It's also more work to pick a winner coming into the last weekend, but I think spreadsheet magic could help there too.

Chris
Spec Miata #13

October 09, 2017, 10:36:13 PM
Reply #3

dc2696

• Information Offline
What's the downside to 'best of' points structure?

That the most consistent top finisher might not win the championship, which begs how can you be the best if you only win via maths.

October 10, 2017, 07:41:46 AM
Reply #4

Doug Campbell

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
The Spec Miata Championship is presently calculated this way. Having the WCMA Championship calculated the same way would make them both consistent.
Yellow Z06
Spec Miata 91

October 11, 2017, 09:10:34 AM
Reply #5

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
The Spec Miata Championship is presently calculated this way. Having the WCMA Championship calculated the same way would make them both consistent.

Yes it's a bit confusing having two (right Dean?).  If I recall correctly; the original purpose of the difficult scoring system for the spec miata championship was to have something that was clear and easy to follow (The WCMA points at the time weren't.  The new system is much more clear.) and that fit the spirit of the class / amateur racing (you shouldn't get knocked out because of life things like your so-called friend wouldn't reschedule their wedding and whatnot).

I'd like to see them match so they could be promoted as one championship.  What that takes is up to our racers (best-of?  drop a weekend?  double points races?  which point structure?)

Chris
Spec Miata #13