Author Topic: 2017 AGM  (Read 6646 times)

October 08, 2017, 03:10:07 PM
Read 6646 times

MattB

• Information
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
Is there a detailed agenda? I saw that there's coffee, workshops, lunch, more workshops, and a wrap up. So I guess technically there's an agenda, but at the same time, it's not really an agenda. One that you can prepare for anyway.

Are things being voted on? If so, what? Is it possible to vote if you're not in attendance? What can be voted on? And who's allowed to vote?

October 08, 2017, 04:36:05 PM
Reply #1

Andy

• Information
  • WCMA Executive
Hi Matt,
 As always we try to have an open forum at the AGM, if you have a specific topic you would like discussed please submit it to the appropriate group leader and it can be added to the agenda.

October 08, 2017, 04:53:51 PM
Reply #2

MattB

• Information
Take the SM tire discussion/proposals. Is this something that would be put forward and voted on? Who does and does not get to vote? Is a simple majority of those who vote enough to pass a proposal?

October 10, 2017, 07:45:17 AM
Reply #3

Andy

• Information
  • WCMA Executive
We will be talking about tires at the AGM, we have been offered a proposal by Cooper Tires and we have had a couple other tires tested this year. SM has been the focus of these tests but other classes may wish to consider spec tires for there classes, maybe they won't. The purpose of the AGM is to discuss these and any other issues that may be presented and try to make racing better for everyone.

October 10, 2017, 03:55:47 PM
Reply #4

MattB

• Information
OK, but who decides, and what is the exact process, regarding rule changes? And is it the same for class rules (e.g. SM tire) and for point scoring procedures (e.g. 'best of' vs current system)?

October 11, 2017, 10:00:46 AM
Reply #5

ChrisS

• Information
  • Global Moderator
  • Alberta Spec Miata Championship Coordinator
OK, but who decides, and what is the exact process, regarding rule changes? And is it the same for class rules (e.g. SM tire) and for point scoring procedures (e.g. 'best of' vs current system)?

Traditionally decisions have been made by vote at the AGM.  I would suggest that we start making use of modern technology so we can discuss and vote on things more regularly that once a year (MSR has built it polling and elections).

Matt,
I'd also suggest that we create a Spec Miata Advisory Committee similar to what is done in the SCCA.  Maybe elect one representative per city sort of thing.  Then we have a few people to keep their finger on the pulse with the option of meeting in person.  And also represent the class on things like sponsorship negotiations or whatnot.

Chris
Spec Miata #13

October 11, 2017, 07:57:16 PM
Reply #6

MattB

• Information
So a motion passes with a simple majority of those who vote in person? Only people who raced in SM vote or it's open to everyone? What about someone that didn't race this year but raced last year? I'm not trying to be obtuse--just trying to understand how things work. If there's a close vote then these details matter...

October 12, 2017, 01:02:07 AM
Reply #7

ChrisS

• Information
  • Global Moderator
From what I've seen before it was people who attended in person plus proxy votes.  Personally I'd like to see electronic voting to make it easier for all to participate.  Eg. Leduc is a long trip for Ken without really knowing what will be voted on.

As for who's vote counts for a class specific vote; that's a good question.  All current racers?  All who currently have a car?  What about those thinking of joining in?

Perhaps these have happened in the past already.  Looking in your direction challenge cars ;)

Chris
Spec Miata #13

October 12, 2017, 01:19:12 PM
Reply #8

MattB

• Information
And how do you properly cast a proxy vote if there isn't a list of motions presented ahead of time?

December 17, 2017, 02:25:17 PM
Reply #9

MattB

• Information
Are there any minutes from the AGM?

June 21, 2018, 02:14:42 PM
Reply #10

MattB

• Information
Just following up again to see if there are any AGM minutes, and if there's any written information on how rule changes come about?

June 29, 2018, 08:23:22 AM
Reply #11

10cc

• Information
  • ARCA Race Director
I have always been amazed by the very sparse attendance at the AGM, considering how important the event is. Often, ideas, concepts and suggestions arise out of face to face discussions, and therefore can't be included in an agenda. It is my opinion that more people should make a point of attending this once a year meeting, as it is meant to be a gathering of all interested parties to forge the future of our sport.
G. Brooke Carter
#10 ST5
ARCA Race Director

July 03, 2018, 07:21:42 AM
Reply #12

ChrisS

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Matt raises a good point though; minutes would be useful not only to those who couldn't attend, but also to refer back to why certain decisions were made.

Chris
Spec Miata #13

July 04, 2018, 11:45:27 AM
Reply #13

10cc

• Information
  • ARCA Race Director
Agree completely, although the way the meeting flow, bounce around, and the fact that groups are split up, it might be hard to get accurate minutes. Still a good idea.
G. Brooke Carter
#10 ST5
ARCA Race Director

July 05, 2018, 07:48:57 AM
Reply #14

ChrisS

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Yes it would require a bit more structure (not necessarily a bad thing) to be more effective and produce usable information.

With the shifting purpose of the WCMA, I do wonder if we could move some of those rule change discussions outside of the AGM (electronic discussions & voting, or otherwise) and focus the AGM more on directing and executing WCMA strategy.  What will ensure the continued success of our sport won't be whether or not we mandate fire systems this year, but rather how we are reducing the barriers of entry and marketing our community.  So which should we be spending our time talking about when we get together once a year?

Chris
Spec Miata #13