Author Topic: Master Switch rules  (Read 78 times)

June 03, 2019, 08:32:09 PM
Read 78 times

MattB

• Information Offline
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
Can someone confirm the rules that pertain to the Master Cutoff Switch for SMs?

SCCA GCR 9.3.33. MASTER SWITCH?
https://www.scca.com/downloads/45808-gcr-june

June 04, 2019, 06:24:54 AM
Reply #1

ChrisS

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
  • Alberta Spec Miata Championship Coordinator
As a purely safety requirement; I interpret that it falls under the WCMA regs so:

C. SAFETY KILL SWITCH
1. A safety kill switch must be fitted. It must disable all of the electrical systems, except Fire Suppression
Systems system on the vehicle directly, i.e. solenoids may not be used. If the kill switch does not disable
the main starter cable, the starter cable must be fitted with a fusible link. This fusible link must not be
installed near the engine compartment or fuel cell. It is preferred for the safety kill switch to be mounted
on the cowl at the base of the windshield, or near the A pillar on the driver's side Location of the Kill
switch must be marked clearly (using a red spark on a blue triangle with a white border), or the outside
of the vehicle and its operation must be obvious. If the driver cannot reach this switch while in the
normal driver's position, a second switch with identical function must be fitted in the driver/passenger
compartment such that the driver can operate the switch while strapped in safety harness.
2. The kill switch may also be mounted remotely and operated by a pull cable with a loop in the above
specified locations.
3. The use of FIA approved electrical shut off relay systems also permitted. Activation switch must also be
clearly marked.
http://www.wcma.ca/new/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-WCMA-Technical-Regulations-20190101.pdf

Mine is in the usual SM spot on the passenger side of the main hoop with a pull cable loop on the trans tunnel beside my fire system pull.

Chris
Spec Miata #13