Author Topic: Wanting to start road racing  (Read 13574 times)

January 14, 2009, 11:13:03 PM
Read 13574 times

Ethanol

Hello.
I am interested in starting road racing. So far I have done 2 seasons of autocross (1.5 seasons in a Ford Taurus station wagon =P and 0.5 seasons in a Mitsu lancer.) I have also done the ASA autocross school once, and the NASCC Ice racing school once so far (this upcoming weekend will be my second time). I am looking to purchase a cheap car to start road racing as it is a head to head racing and I do not want to damage my daily driver.

So, my question to you guys are:
Which car should I get? I was thinking of doing the spec-miata or spec-neon class, but if there are cheaper alternatives (such as civic?), please let me know. also, preferably street drivable as I don't have a trailer.
What is the typical annual cost of road racing? eg. tires, maintenance, entry fees, licensing, etc.

Thats all I can think of. Any other tips welcome  =)

Thanks in advance,
David
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:44:29 PM by Ethanol »

January 15, 2009, 12:20:47 PM
Reply #1

vintagebmw

Cheapest cost and probably the best competition would be to buy a 1st gen rx7 and run the Challenge series we have locally (spec rx7 if you like).

A

January 15, 2009, 12:41:51 PM
Reply #2

Al36rx7

As stated above the Spec Rx7 series (Challenge Serries) is likely the cheapest to get an introduction to road racing.  You could also look towards a civic for IT-2 or miata for IT.  IT (Improved Touring) is also a good option.  There is more you can modify on a car and be within the rules...but if you are one of those folks that feels they want a competitive car where the biggest variable if the driver, then it is likely you will soak allot more cash into the car.

Entry fees: $350 per weekend event (way more track time than Solo2)
Required Safety gear: Suit...Min. $400
SA grade helmet: min $350
Gloves, nomex balaclava, shoes: min $175

Tires:  If every event is made (including endurance)...and using Toyo RA1s.  I would assume minimum two sets of tires for the season
Other items that require replacement will vary the vehicle selected, and or off track incidents or worse case...a damaged car from ontrack contact

It is a big step in cost...but when I moved to road racing you couldn't wipe the smile off my face

January 15, 2009, 09:37:31 PM
Reply #3

NeonRacer

David,

Do you currently Ice race now or are you interested in Ice Racing? Ice Racing is by far the cheapest form of wheel to wheel racing out there. It is so much cheaper than road racing. I actually drive a Spec Neon for Ice racing in winter and with a few modifications for the summer I road raced the car in 3 events. I plan to do the same again this year. I will make some more modifications after the Ice Race season is over for the upcoming summer track schedule and then undo the changes for next years Ice racing schedule. The Spec Neon class this year will be using bolted tires (limited studs) on the ice and should produce some very competitive and thrilling racing. We hope to have 9 to 10 Noens out there all very equally matched.

The beauty of doing this way is you get maximum use out of the race car and switching over to road racing is quite easy. You can then run as many summer road races as you can afford. The Neon is not the fastest IT2 car on the race track but with the modification I am planning to make next year I am hoping to run in the middle of the pack in IT2.

Probably I will see you at Robs lake on Saturday as I am instructing...we can discuss more there if you want.

January 16, 2009, 07:31:33 AM
Reply #4

Ethanol

I don't currently ice race, but i was also thinking about doing that too... I was going to suggest something that was good for both ice racing and road racing, but decided to just state road racing only. I don't think I can have anything ready for ice racing this year, but maybe next year =) but I do remember last year most people brought their spec-neons out by towing it. would the spec-neon still be road legal (with bringing the bolt tires in the car and then changing them at the track)?

I'll definitely see you at Rob's tomorrow, I'll be in the grey lancer =)

January 18, 2009, 09:37:58 PM
Reply #5

NeonRacer

David,

Excellent job yesterday during the driving school, I could see you have very good car control. Yes, Spec Ice Race Neons are street legal minus the bolted tires of course! Of course the car has to be registrable with the Provincial Government and have valid insurance which I will address later in the email. I do know of a few (very rare) people who do drive their race cars to the race track (Ice and Road racing). Firstly If you don't mind the wierd looks you are going to get driving a roll caged, race numbered, race car on the streets. Secondly if you don't mind having to answer lots of questions when you drive up to a gas station to fill up.  Thirdly and probably the worst is getting pulled over by a Policeman who is having a bad day and potentially hassling you and doing a full vehicle inspection. If the three things I mentioned don't bother you then read on and consider it further.

The insurance on races car could also prove to be troublesome. As you know no insurance company will touch a car that will be used as a race car. Even if you take your regular street car out onto a track your insurance is void! I think that if you didn't tell your insurance company that you use the car as a regular race car and they found out...yikes! Best to ask your insurance company first.

Road racing is very expensive and not for starving students or people on a limited budget that is why I suggested Ice racing first...gain experience....save your pennies....get the use out of the car and build up to Road Racing. I did and I think it is the best way to do it.

Even if you have the money, work out the costs and the budget you are willing to spend. You have to include lots of things I did not even consider. Basic Car, Modifications to meet WCMA rules, Race schools, race license, entry fees, tires, gas, spare parts, hotels, food...the list goes on and on.

January 19, 2009, 11:35:11 AM
Reply #6

Ethanol

David,

Excellent job yesterday during the driving school, I could see you have very good car control. Yes, Spec Ice Race Neons are street legal minus the bolted tires of course! Of course the car has to be registrable with the Provincial Government and have valid insurance which I will address later in the email. I do know of a few (very rare) people who do drive their race cars to the race track (Ice and Road racing). Firstly If you don't mind the wierd looks you are going to get driving a roll caged, race numbered, race car on the streets. Secondly if you don't mind having to answer lots of questions when you drive up to a gas station to fill up.  Thirdly and probably the worst is getting pulled over by a Policeman who is having a bad day and potentially hassling you and doing a full vehicle inspection. If the three things I mentioned don't bother you then read on and consider it further.

The insurance on races car could also prove to be troublesome. As you know no insurance company will touch a car that will be used as a race car. Even if you take your regular street car out onto a track your insurance is void! I think that if you didn't tell your insurance company that you use the car as a regular race car and they found out...yikes! Best to ask your insurance company first.

Road racing is very expensive and not for starving students or people on a limited budget that is why I suggested Ice racing first...gain experience....save your pennies....get the use out of the car and build up to Road Racing. I did and I think it is the best way to do it.

Even if you have the money, work out the costs and the budget you are willing to spend. You have to include lots of things I did not even consider. Basic Car, Modifications to meet WCMA rules, Race schools, race license, entry fees, tires, gas, spare parts, hotels, food...the list goes on and on.

Thanks! I think I'll have to put off road racing and ice racing until next year though now that i have thought about it a bit. I think I'll take the schools though. I wouldn't mind all the weird looks, or answering questions, or being pulled over by the police. they can check everything they want, but since it's street legal i don't have anything to hide =P anyways, thanks for all the tips!

January 31, 2009, 07:47:33 AM
Reply #7

4kruzn

Hello.
I am interested in starting road racing. So far I have done 2 seasons of autocross (1.5 seasons in a Ford Taurus station wagon =P and 0.5 seasons in a Mitsu lancer.) I have also done the ASA autocross school once, and the NASCC Ice racing school once so far (this upcoming weekend will be my second time). I am looking to purchase a cheap car to start road racing as it is a head to head racing and I do not want to damage my daily driver.

So, my question to you guys are:
Which car should I get? I was thinking of doing the spec-miata or spec-neon class, but if there are cheaper alternatives (such as civic?), please let me know. also, preferably street drivable as I don't have a trailer.
What is the typical annual cost of road racing? eg. tires, maintenance, entry fees, licensing, etc.

Thats all I can think of. Any other tips welcome  =)

Thanks in advance,
David

stay away from rx7 class if budget is your consern.  pm if you want details.   

here is a cheap/likely reliable way to start.   turn key!!!

http://www.motorsportmarshalling.on.ca/wcma/index.php?topic=193.0

January 31, 2009, 12:37:39 PM
Reply #8

gamman

here is a cheap/likely reliable way to start.   turn key!!!

http://www.motorsportmarshalling.on.ca/wcma/index.php?topic=193.0

$25k car for $7k? Where was this when I was contemplating things?

OP, you should try to buy that, however, it may not be street civil for you enough, but jeez, its well prepped.

February 01, 2009, 12:43:32 PM
Reply #9

10cc

I disagree regarding costs and the RX7 class. The cars can be bought race ready for $5,000.00, and they are extremely easy to work on. There are still lots of parts out there, contrary to some beliefs, and the class is very helpful to drivers when it comes to sharing parts and expertise. That is an advantage of racing a "spec" class, all the cars are the same, and if something breaks at the track, chances are really good that someone has spares.

March 03, 2009, 12:10:44 AM
Reply #10

Ethanol

Thanks for your replies. I'm a bit weary of rotarys though due to what I've heard about their reliability, I will consider it though. What are your thoughts on rotarys?

March 03, 2009, 12:25:58 PM
Reply #11

10cc

Hey,

Well, as with anything, it depends on what you do to them. Some of the guys have run these engines for years with no problems at all. I, along with a few others, tend to drive them extremely hard, and rev them way too high, so the engines may not last as long. I have a spare engine that has been in and out of several cars, and it still goes strong.

Let's not forget, that although ours aren't the same quality, Mazda won the 24 hours of LeMans with rotaries

I don't know about the cost of piston motors, so I can't really compare.

March 03, 2009, 04:42:50 PM
Reply #12

Ethanol

haha.. reading that reminds me of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsY4lEGRBI

no offence to anyone who loves their rotaries. =P just another question though, with the RX-7's being that old, are new (as in brand new, not used) parts still being produced?

March 03, 2009, 05:45:28 PM
Reply #13

Super70Dave

That video rules bet you didn't see that coming brooke.
SuperDave

March 04, 2009, 12:18:05 AM
Reply #14

10cc

Well, seen the video before...funny. Ha Ha ;D

Parts are from junkyards and Napa, some new, some old. Body parts and serious engine parts are a little harder to find, but certainly not impossible. Basic wear stuff like rotors, pads, hoses, bearings....all easy!

Hey, not trying to convince anybody...CC cars are just plain cool, fun/hard to drive, and win a lot of championships.

Take your pick !

B