Author Topic: CFB Edmonton Races  (Read 8747 times)

March 06, 2009, 01:29:55 PM
Read 8747 times

Icedawg

The Northern Alberta Sports Car Club (NASCC) will have two weekend dates for races at CFB Edmonton this year.
June 20 and 21, a Saturday and Sunday
Aug 29 and 30, a Saturday and Sunday (not the long weekend)

These NASCC organized races are coordinated with the Alberta Race Car Association (ARCA) races at Calgary's Race City.  Points will be acquired for the Alberta Championships at both CFB Edmonton and Race City, unlike in recent years.  The CFB Edmonton races will also have a WCMA points race, as was the case in the past.

Look to the NASCC website and/or the ARCA website for more details beginning in April.
CFB Edmonton may be our only race venue in Alberta a year or two from now, so come out and support us as we build up the event.

March 06, 2009, 02:18:26 PM
Reply #1

10cc

With 2 at CFB, and 4 at Race City, that's 6 events. Gimli has 5. How do the WCMA points work?

Now don't get me wrong here, I love to have a lot of dates, but August looks almost impossible, with Race City and Gimli on the same weekend - Aug 8/9, then the Gimli race we usually go to Aug 22/23, then Edmonton CFB the next week, Aug 29/30

The July Gimli date is the weekend before the Indy, the June Gimli date is the same weekend as the first CFB race and the last Gimli weekend is usually snowy .

Much as I love the number of races, August is almost impossible, and really expensive

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:43:13 PM by 10cc »

March 06, 2009, 07:14:22 PM
Reply #2

NeonRacer

Thank you NASCC.

I personally think it is wonderful that there will be two races in Edmonton. Only some people from Alberta would  even consider driving to Gimli for a race and vice versa, so having more dates even though they may conflict gives people choices and opportunites. There are 5 Gimli dates to choose from for those that may want to race the one mandatory out of province races for the Regional Championship and I personnally don't see this as a problem. I know it is nice to support other clubs by participating in their events, but Gimli is a long and expensive drive.

With the current uncertain status of Race City in the immediate and longer term developing Race dates in Edmonton will be crucial to the survival of motor sports in Alberta. You never know all or even a portion of the current races in Calgary may be cancelled due to deteriorating track conditions or other factors and we will be lucky there are 2 races in Edmonton.

Organizing races and dates at CFB can be very bothersome and you probably don't get much choice of dates given the other events that run there....so kudos to Jed and NASCC.

April 09, 2009, 09:16:59 PM
Reply #3

Icedawg

Bump

Oh, and the plan made with ARCA, is that both Edmonton races will have a WCMA points race, and the GT weekend at Calgary, the last race weekend of the year, and possibly the RCMP track itself, will include the GT money race, but not a points race.

April 10, 2009, 01:12:19 PM
Reply #4

admin

Wayne S is revising the WCMA Championship format based on a recent (last week) conference call that should keep everyone happy and travelling. Details out shortly.

April 13, 2009, 10:25:22 AM
Reply #5

M Hansen

Will the Edmonton CFB races count for ARCA points now as well? No one has indicated that they would as usually they do not.

Additionally I think the removal of the WCMA points race during the September Race City event is absurd as the month of September would therefore have no WCMA points races. Personally, three WCMA points event races in the month of August alone seems excessive. As there is an issue with the Edmonton points races (one too many) I think we should just have a single WCMA points race during the first edmonton race (as we have always done), and none on the second. If you are worried about attendance you can allocate ARCA points to both of the Edmonton races. Stripping the final race weekend in September at Race City so as to fill the month of August with points races just doesn't seem right.

Like Brooke said, many of us cannot commit to virtually three weekends in a row of races (i.e. Edmonton, Calgary, and Gimli) all in a row...

Anyways thats just my two cents.

-M

April 25, 2009, 08:11:32 AM
Reply #6

DinoC

Brook's comment that the last GMP Date in Sept is always snowy is wrong. 
It may be cooler, or it could be a +25 weekend.  Usually the nights are cool, but the parties are hot.
There are no guarantees, but most of the time there is no snow.
Dino.

April 26, 2009, 12:41:31 PM
Reply #7

10cc

Hey,

I know it doesn't always snow...I was just making an exagerated point about the nature of the schedule. I love going to Gimli in any weather

We have similar issues here in Calgary with the weather, so don't take it too personally. You Manitoba guys are so soft and cuddly, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

B

May 06, 2009, 08:47:48 AM
Reply #8

Icedawg

There are no guarantees, but most of the time there is no snow.
Dino.

Dino I am not really sure I buy it, but I 'm glad Brooke does.  We sure can't count on a snow free weekend in September in Edmonton.  I have a shot like this Sept 2006 image for pretty much every September.  So guys, that's why we could not go for a Sept race up here.

May 10, 2009, 07:30:48 PM
Reply #9

DinoC

Geez Jed, Is the optional tire for that event an Ice Radial?
Edmonton is at a more northern Lattitude than Calgary or Gimli.
If our track was in Thompson or The Pas this could have been a picture.
Dino

May 11, 2009, 10:11:07 AM
Reply #10

oldpony

Jed:  RE ----- spares ------ there is a white first gen RX7 for sale, :) :) :) visible from highway 60 southbound towards Devon, a little ways south of the Devonian Gardens.