Author Topic: George Chapman Award  (Read 2587 times)

March 17, 2016, 07:57:40 AM
Read 2587 times

Sue Wilson

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Hi all, many years ago, WCMA used to award the George Chapman Award.  It was awarded to the driver in Prairie Region who got the most Regional Race points for dry track racing.  I remember Frank Terner received it 3 or 4 times.  It appears to have given out to someone and then forgotten about.  Does anyone remember who may have it?  Let me know.  Thanks.
Sue Wilson
Administrator
Director - Licensing
Western Canada Motorsport Association

March 17, 2016, 10:20:52 AM
Reply #1

Tachyon

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Sue, could it have been last given to Wade Lee.   Wade was a front runner in the Honda Michelin Series and in the Players GM series and then in the Formula 2000 series in Ontario and Quebec .   He was jumping from one car to another at the same race weekends for a couple of years so he certainly would have accumulated a lot of racing miles per year.  I believe Wade moved out of the Alberta.  ( Wade, Michael Heim and Gary Lohues all raced in the Endurance series in California and Washington for a couple of years.)

Frank Allers ( WCMA competitor) , was another one who was jumping from closed wheel to open wheel. He was the Western Honda Michelin Champion, and raced a lot  in Ontario and QUebec and the following years he won the Players GM series  ( twice or 3 times) and then raced Formula Atlantic for a few years.  I think Frank still lives in Vancouver. 

March 17, 2016, 11:08:44 AM
Reply #2

Tachyon

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Sue,

I do recall that large trophy but can not recall when I last saw it. 

During the time  we're considering , CASC- Prairie region and newly formed WCMA also consisted of all the Vancouver and British Columbia Clubs.  Besides Frank Allers, there were also other very successful drivers from this area that were racing in both amateur and professional racing series in Canada, United States and in Europe.  You may wish to reach out to Pam and Ray Stec or Mike Keane.  Could we have given it to Greg Moore?? I was race Director in 1995 and I'm thinking it was prior to that.

( Between 1991 & 1994 I was travelling ( sailing on the east Coast of the US or the Caribbean ) and not living in Alberta - so if it was during those 4 seasons I would not know.)
Gary

March 17, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
Reply #3

Sue Wilson

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
I think this trophy disappeared during the EIS days, not the Race City days.  Hopefully someone can help out.
Sue Wilson
Administrator
Director - Licensing
Western Canada Motorsport Association

March 18, 2016, 05:52:20 AM
Reply #4

Tachyon

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
After Frank Terner??? Frank must have been awarded that award late 1970s or 1980, 81.. Colin Tuckey from Calgary was on that list of Canada's next Formula one driver in the early 1980s. Dave Whiting (Edmonton) was also on that top drivers in Canada list.
You could check with Dave.