Author Topic: Noise Levels  (Read 7111 times)

February 25, 2011, 03:26:33 PM
Read 7111 times

racer12ca

• Information
With the possibility of the closure of Race City looming over our heads, and having heard the numerous times that noise levels are one of the “nimby’s” key concerns with racing and therefore a reason not to allow development of a new racing venue. Sadly, as we all probably love that “race car sound” the new reality is out there that things are changing.  As stakeholders of racing in western Canada maybe we should look at implementing a hard noise level rule as so we can prove that we have taken measures to abate the concerns of the “nimby’s”. Here is what the WCMA rule states on the topic;
5.15. Noise Level of Race Cars
5.15.a.
Where event supplementary regulations require the organizer to limit the sound emission
levels, the organizer alone is responsible to determine the sound emissions from cars.
5.15.b.
 When regulations require the fitting of sound limiting devices to the exhaust system of
cars, competitors will install and maintain the devices in place and functioning at all times
during the competition.

Looking around at other tracks/sanctioning bodies, Mission has a hard cap at 95 dBA(correct me if I’m wrong) and SCCA is 103 dBA.

February 25, 2011, 07:58:37 PM
Reply #1

CRXsi

• Information
ARCA's supp regs clearly state:

No race vehicle may exceed 92 decibels (92dBa) measured at 50 feet from either side of the car at 3500 rpm. The track promoter will be strictly enforcing this requirement

http://albertaracecar.ca/clients/49797/File/2010%20Sup%20Regs%20-%20General.pdf

I would say we have been strict with posting it and yes we should be even more strict with enforcing it. Of course everyone makes sure to read the supp regs at the beginning of the year as well as before every event correct?  ;)
Gord Galloway

Honda CRXsi#32 IT3

February 26, 2011, 11:33:40 AM
Reply #2

Al36rx7

• Information
  • Tech Committee
Being a rotary kind of guy and knowing the rotaries take a huge hit to the hp with additional restriction that is normally associated with reducing db level.  The 92 db we have does not realistically indicate the sound level of our cars.  If we were to move that 3500 to something closer to 5500, then I think (with no real basis) that the track would be a much quieter neighbor.  Or measure 95 at 5500 at 50 ft.  I don't honestly know....The 3500 rpm I have always thought was not realistic to the noise we really generate.

If we were measuring sound level of my diesel, then 3500 rpm is reasonable.

However since the likelyhood is that the track will be closed at the end of the season....Does it really matter?  If there was more years left at RCMP, then I would suggest making a change.

Just comments from the peanut gallery.
A. Brown
==========================
Pistons??.....I Don't need no Stinkin' Pistons!!

February 26, 2011, 05:07:44 PM
Reply #3

CRXsi

• Information
I do agree with you fully Allen. Maybe we should change the way it's measured as well as you are right that 3500rpm in most race cars is not really a true value of the noise potential. I will bring this up with the executive tomorrow.
Gord Galloway

Honda CRXsi#32 IT3

February 26, 2011, 08:04:25 PM
Reply #4

giantkiller

• Information
Being a rotary kind of guy and knowing the rotaries take a huge hit to the hp with additional restriction that is normally associated with reducing db level.  The 92 db we have does not realistically indicate the sound level of our cars.  If we were to move that 3500 to something closer to 5500, then I think (with no real basis) that the track would be a much quieter neighbor.  Or measure 95 at 5500 at 50 ft.  I don't honestly know....The 3500 rpm I have always thought was not realistic to the noise we really generate.

If we were measuring sound level of my diesel, then 3500 rpm is reasonable.

However since the likelyhood is that the track will be closed at the end of the season....Does it really matter?  If there was more years left at RCMP, then I would suggest making a change.

Just comments from the peanut gallery.

How do you enforce a noise limit based on RPM?

Steward: #92 You are over limit
Racer: Who me? ..but I was totally winding out the revs at 9000
Steward: OK sorry, my bad carry on. Next time you are passing the station could you do me a favour and keep it at 3500?

Seems kind of silly no?

IMO part of responsible motorsports involves monitoring noise levels as noise is (likely) the number one complaint of the NIMBYs. As a comparison conference monitors all practice and race sessions and lets competitors know when they are getting close. Just a data point for comparison.

I can't remember what the noise limit at PIR was for the 12 hour enduro this year but our e30 was borderline as the exhaust started to fail 10 hours in and at that level I was starting to feel nauseated, even with my molded earphones in.

I think with Race City on the chopping block we should be more careful than ever.

Anthony

February 27, 2011, 09:02:03 AM
Reply #5

Al36rx7

• Information
  • Tech Committee
Correct Anthony!  Based on rpm, db limit is unenforceable and unrealistic.  A higher number than the listed 92 db should be the magic number.  97...98...99db??  It's just a guess with no real science behind the numbers.
A. Brown
==========================
Pistons??.....I Don't need no Stinkin' Pistons!!

February 27, 2011, 08:12:26 PM
Reply #6

CRXsi

• Information
I was talking to ARCA's President today and we both agreed it should be changed to not include an RPM and rather just a DB requirement at 50'. I have a feeling that 2011 sup regs will be changed to reflect that but not sure what the end wording will be exactly.
Gord Galloway

Honda CRXsi#32 IT3

March 01, 2011, 02:09:25 PM
Reply #7

rsracer

• Information

Hello to Alberta friends, 
                                Yes the Sound limit, Race car don't make noise. at Mission is 95 db at 50 feet. we normally measure this on the front straight were the rpm's are up and you under full acceleration,although some with sound issues do soft pedal it past the meter.
    Almost all tracks now do have limits as to where to put those at , i would suggest you check around to the other tracks where your members compete or where you want to draw competitors from. Having the number consistent makes things easier for the racer.

Cheers RS

March 03, 2011, 09:20:05 PM
Reply #8

Icedawg

• Information
  • WCMA Affiliated Executive - NASCC
honestly I think worrying about this from the perspective of keeping Race City open or building a new track is a complete waste of time.  The public knows race cars are loud.   We could put a 6 foot long, triple baffled, glass packed, thrice-folded-back air path muffler on our cars ,that robbed 90 % of the stock horse power, and it would not make an iota of difference to public opinion.  Race cars are loud is the standard opinion, history supports that, and we don't stand a chance of changing that mind set.  If a new track is built and tougher regs are put in place no question we should obey them and test for them.  But I can't believe anything that happens at Race City this summer in terms of mufflers will make a darn bit of difference to what happens to racing next.

March 03, 2011, 09:58:06 PM
Reply #9

super70dave

• Information
The key to all of this discussion is the track promoter/facility, they determine there dba #, they enforce it.

This is what the wcma technical regulations say
a) Any exhaust manifold or header may be used. Any muffler may be used. The maximum permissible noise level as measured 16 m (50 feet) from the side of the track surface is 108 dBA, subject to local track regulations.

SCCA GCR says
A sound level instrument (meter) that meets American National Standards
Institute (ANSI) S1.4-1983 Class 2 or better shall be used. The primary
maximum for SCCA Sound Control shall be a sound pressure level of
103dB “A” frequency weighted (dBA) measured on the fast response
setting at 50 feet (+/- 2 feet) from the edge of the track pavement, and/
or artificial markers indicating track edge. Lower maximum levels may be
imposed at specific venues or events. These lower levels shall be noted
in the Supplemental Regulations.
All sound readings shall be truncated to
the lower whole number.

March 04, 2011, 07:23:18 PM
Reply #10

giantkiller

• Information
honestly I think worrying about this from the perspective of keeping Race City open or building a new track is a complete waste of time.  The public knows race cars are loud.   We could put a 6 foot long, triple baffled, glass packed, thrice-folded-back air path muffler on our cars ,that robbed 90 % of the stock horse power, and it would not make an iota of difference to public opinion.  Race cars are loud is the standard opinion, history supports that, and we don't stand a chance of changing that mind set.  If a new track is built and tougher regs are put in place no question we should obey them and test for them.  But I can't believe anything that happens at Race City this summer in terms of mufflers will make a darn bit of difference to what happens to racing next.

Really? I think relations with all stakeholders and finding middle ground is important. I also think showing that you are being proactive to take "reasonable" measures (to find a middle ground) is very important.

Talk to the 5000+ members of "Friends of PIR" who work hard every year at keep that track open and building goodwill by being a contributing member of the local community around Portland, noise management plays a big role. I am not advocating saving RCMP but I do think we need to be seen as leaders in the race and city communities.