Author Topic: Racing in Spokane 2012  (Read 6903 times)

November 08, 2011, 01:13:14 PM
Read 6903 times

giantkiller

• Information
Hi all,

I know everyone is working hard at trying to secure some race dates for next year but given the limited venues we have at our disposal I am interested in hearing who would be interested in traveling down to Spokane for the NorthWest Grand Prix (tripple race weekend held in July.

I have been in discussions with the group responsible for the weekend and have told them our predicament and they are willing to help our however they can. What they have asked for is a list of car numbers (and classes) of cars that are likely to attend. They are not looking for a firm commitment, just wondering who is interested in attending and how can we make the weekend special.

-For example, our WCMA licenses will not allow us to run for points (but they are accepted), do we want them to score us on our own or would be adopt their classifications?
-Maybe we could do a feature North vs South race?
-Maybe we could "sponsor" a BBQ (canadian beer and bacon perhaps?)

They are also looking at potentially adding another race weekend to the schedule and interest from us would go a long way in securing that.

Some details about Spokane:

-very fast course, even with reconfiguration is faster than RCMP
-Fresh pavement and curbs
-125+ car race weekends
-Probably the most hospitable of all; ICSCC tracks and weekends
-Many WCMA racers have raced there and instructed before (myself, Stu, Lance, Don J, John Herbst etc)
-8.5 hours door to door from Calgary through the Crowsnest pass
-Similar classifications to us, every car can typically run in 2 race groups all weekend my cars runs GT3(slicks) & SPU (DOTS) with only a change of tires.
-Triple race weekend means lots of track time and well worth the haul
-I leave after the last race on Sunday and I am in bed by 1am.

Regards,

Anthony

November 10, 2011, 09:05:10 PM
Reply #1

Streetwise guy

• Information
So...8.5 hours plus 7 from Saskatoon...  SCCA sanctioned?  IT2=ITA, if so, and my car is SCCA legal.  If NASA, how are they classed? 

November 11, 2011, 03:26:23 AM
Reply #2

10cc

• Information
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
  • ARCA Race Director
There was some discussion at the AGM regarding posting some border crossing info....

Also, is there likely to be another event aside from the July one, which would likely conflict either datewise or $$$wise with the Indy? I'd like to do both, Indy and Spokane....if we don't find some sort of local solution.

As far as scoring goes, well, as we obviously can't score WCMA points, we might as well get scored with them...easier all around.
G. Brooke Carter
#10 ST5
ARCA Race Director

November 11, 2011, 10:06:35 AM
Reply #3

giantkiller

• Information
So...8.5 hours plus 7 from Saskatoon...  SCCA sanctioned?  IT2=ITA, if so, and my car is SCCA legal.  If NASA, how are they classed?

It is ICSCC (international Conference of Sports Car Clubs), it is not SCCA but very similar classifications.

November 11, 2011, 10:13:20 AM
Reply #4

giantkiller

• Information
There was some discussion at the AGM regarding posting some border crossing info....

Also, is there likely to be another event aside from the July one, which would likely conflict either datewise or $$$wise with the Indy? I'd like to do both, Indy and Spokane....if we don't find some sort of local solution.

As far as scoring goes, well, as we obviously can't score WCMA points, we might as well get scored with them...easier all around.

Border is very easy. Just answer questions truthfully and honestly. I have a manifest prepared for my trailer and have never had to use it. I get more questions coming back then going into US.

As a "visitor" you don't get to race for points unless you are a member of one of the clubs, you will run under a 700 series number. If points aren't important than no biggie.

Race weekend is typically 2nd week of July which would be the weekend before Indy. I suppose Indy will be well subscribed this year but for the price to run at Indy you can pay your way to Spokane and back for the same price.

November 11, 2011, 11:49:58 AM
Reply #5

Al36rx7

• Information
  • Tech Committee
Hey Anthony...Are you seeing higher end of straight speeds than RCMP?

I am interested, but I am same as Brooke, but with all being said...Spokane looks to be more fun to drive than the new Indy configuration.

A. Brown
A. Brown
==========================
Pistons??.....I Don't need no Stinkin' Pistons!!

November 12, 2011, 08:29:26 PM
Reply #6

super70dave

• Information
Some Honda ITA VIDEO from spokane. good conference racing in his other videos as well.
http://vimeo.com/26588150

November 13, 2011, 10:42:40 AM
Reply #7

Blair Robertshaw

• Information
  • Open Wheel
the top speed I hit going into turn 1 at Spokane is 152 MPH, I am using the short stack gear cluster with a final drive ratio in 6th gear of 1.10:1 and tached out down the front straight. at race city with the same short stack gear cluster I hit 146 and am not tached out. my tall stack gear cluster with a final drive of 1.0:1 would work very well there. the front straight has an elevation drop of about 25' going into turns 1 - 2. you tube, icscc group 3 spokane short version and you can see some good camera of front and rear shots of elevation changes, run off areas and so on. the curbs at the track are concrete and are great. the at track food is good, the pits are better than at race city. last time i was there the city had TV commercials running, advertising the event from at least the wednesday we arrived, perhaps sooner. the track is owned by Spokane County and the club ran the ICSCC triple race weekend. there was a great dial in day on thursday. the club is well organized and they run a great event. in addition to the at track food (and it was more than acceptable), this past july the club brought in a converted fire truck. it was converted into a mobile pizza guy who was doing the dough tossing thing in the air and preparing fresh pizza in the 6 oven converted fire truck...and it was free!

I was experiencing decibel violations (which they enforce at 100 Db) and the officials worked with us in between heat races by way of hardship laps to allow us to get down to accepted levels, very gracious to be sure. they love racing and they love the competitors. and lastly, the tow is a beautiful drive that goes by really fast both going and returning and customs is oddly enough, quite welcoming and friendly (at least our experience was)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:02:59 AM by Blair Robertshaw »

November 13, 2011, 03:09:24 PM
Reply #8

Al36rx7

• Information
  • Tech Committee
Thanks Blair.  I only ask since I am only 200 rpm from redline in 5th at RCMP.  Sounds like I would be at the limiter at the end front straight unless I change gearing.

Cheers,
A. Brown
==========================
Pistons??.....I Don't need no Stinkin' Pistons!!

November 14, 2011, 01:14:24 PM
Reply #9

oldpony

• Information
  • WCMA Executive
 :)  Spokane racing

Even from Edmonton, Spokane is a reasonable tow --- probably 12 hrs via the Crowsnest. The Inland Empire BMW club's Scott Adare had a lot to do with the revival of this facility, so my personal view is that it's worth our support.

The pre-renovations layout I have not driven yet. The new layout supposedly bypasses the dragstrip's full-length VHT. Hundreds of laps around the old version; the long straight is bloody fast with a kink then not a lot of room into the downhill 1-2 series --- quite challenging. Undulating terrain that follows can be tricky too.  Very entertaining track, while a bit narrow  & tight in places.

If there's no conflicting race date in Edmonton in 2012, I plan to do at least 1 of the Spokane races with my (presently unlimited-slip diff) Bondostang. Every time I go to Miller, I lose a rear end.

November 26, 2011, 08:39:15 PM
Reply #10

Conekilr

• Information
I would be interested... 8)
Peter
#78 Radical SR3 RS
#78 Spec Miata