Author Topic: Split Topic: Non-classing issues brought up in the Classing review Topic  (Read 6016 times)

February 26, 2014, 10:08:43 AM
Read 6016 times

SputnikRSS

• Information
All the FCs have been heading down to Spokane (ICSCC) for the last couple years they treat you great with free beer and pizza on Saturday it's almost like they want you to come back.

The reasons we hear about people not heading our way are

1. The track isn't complete curbing walls etc
2. No paddock space (big issue for openwheel cars)
3. Some not so friendly race staff.

and before everyone goes off on me about them being volunteers and such I agree its great to have them but the fact is when something goes wrong a 5 min bitch fest isn't the correct way of handling it.

case and point
I had a noise violation while in Spokane after the session they came and talked to me and informed me where the noise sensing would be taking place on the different days and possible ways to avoid it. Tried to find me some exhaust tubing and such to help it away from the measuring stations etc.

Here I dropped a wheel in the dirt and got yelled at for a couple minutes for my silly openwheel car holding up the large group of closed wheel cars. (Only wheel I dropped all weekend)

So until the track is done i don't see anybody really heading our way other than maybe a couple racers from gimli trying to win a WCMA class.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:27:07 AM by Spec Volcanic »

February 27, 2014, 04:57:23 AM
Reply #1

10cc

• Information
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
  • ARCA Race Director
I hesitate to get into this but here goes anyway...

The problems with OW cars not coming to Alberta go back to Race City and the condition of the track. Many OW owners felt the surface was just too rough for OW cars, Having driven the track in OW cars a lot during the last summer of RCMP, I agree completely, and understand the issue. This reputation had an effect on people beyond RCMP. As a result, many OW cars found other venues to race at, and thus began the drop in OW numbers.

Castrol started races a year early as far as I am concerned, but on the other hand, we had some great racing. I know as well as anybody the issues with the walls, and still have concerns about them being there, although there have been changes since the first races. I am looking forward to seeing what the track will look like later this season.

The unfinished state of the track was a critical part of how officials viewed certain aspects of racing. As there was no grass, but just dirt and stones off track in most areas, there was a problem with keeping the track clean. Off track incidents meant a lot, really a lot, of sweeping and time delays, hence the strict attitude of officials. It was made clear at drivers meetings that off track incidents were to be treated more seriously than usual due to these concerns, and everyone was asked to stay on the track. I think we all know how hairy an apex can be when covered with dirt and stones.

Officials put up with an enormous amount of feedback from drivers and crew, and it is not always as polite and considerate as it should be. In the past, I myself, in the heat and tension of a race, have been less than polite to officials, and I make every attempt to remain calm and polite. Everyone should do the same. Understanding that makes it easier to see why officials are occasionally a bit abrupt in their comments. Remember, these folks are freely giving up their time, energy, and expenses to be there for us, and to allow us to race. Without them, we do not race. We are involved in a sport that requires serious co-operation, co-operation between participants, organizers, officials, and supporters. Without a willingness to work together and to help improve, things cannot get better.

I look forward to a great season of racing this summer, and as the track improves, so will its reputation. More cars will come, and the word will spread.

As the old saying goes…..Happy Motoring !
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:27:42 AM by Spec Volcanic »
G. Brooke Carter
#10 ST5
ARCA Race Director

March 05, 2014, 08:26:32 PM
Reply #2

giantkiller

• Information
All the FCs have been heading down to Spokane (ICSCC) for the last couple years they treat you great with free beer and pizza on Saturday it's almost like they want you to come back.

The reasons we hear about people not heading our way are

1. The track isn't complete curbing walls etc
2. No paddock space (big issue for openwheel cars)
3. Some not so friendly race staff.

and before everyone goes off on me about them being volunteers and such I agree its great to have them but the fact is when something goes wrong a 5 min bitch fest isn't the correct way of handling it.

case and point
I had a noise violation while in Spokane after the session they came and talked to me and informed me where the noise sensing would be taking place on the different days and possible ways to avoid it. Tried to find me some exhaust tubing and such to help it away from the measuring stations etc.

Here I dropped a wheel in the dirt and got yelled at for a couple minutes for my silly openwheel car holding up the large group of closed wheel cars. (Only wheel I dropped all weekend)

So until the track is done i don't see anybody really heading our way other than maybe a couple racers from gimli trying to win a WCMA class.

Actually the largest issue I have encountered is the lack of parity on licensing.

We can race down there no problem, they cannot race up here. That is a big issue, especially if you want to come up for 1 race.

I do agree that we have 2 paths:

1. Become a NASA franchise
2. Align closer with ICSCC

Either option requires that we take steps to increase car counts of local racers, counting on having people travel is a long shot , especially initially. We need to build a viable model here, if we can attract more racers locally then will people consider traveling. There are a few reasons I travel: Car counts, New tracks and consistency of rules/competition.

Amazing work so far and an excellent discussion.

Anthony
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:27:52 AM by Spec Volcanic »

March 07, 2014, 03:52:20 PM
Reply #3

Chrisw

• Information
In regards to what 10cc is saying, I will chime in. I am brand new, and signed up for race school in May. I have had a car for years, but have never come out to anything more then a few time attacks.

The #1 reason I have never raced... I found it impossible to "break into the scene". It seems that all the information on racing in Alberta is hidden, or very confusing. WCMA site and forums, NASCC site, Straightpipe forums, Speedway, etc, etc... It's a LOT to figure out and even when you can find your way around all those sites and acronyms you are still left with a lack of information. For years the only answer I ever got to questions about racing was "come out to a club meeting". Needless to say, I never did. Even the NASCC site simply states "The best way to get started is to come out to a club meeting and chat with members about what it is you’d like to get involved in"...

This 101 seminar coming up is a great start, but I think a more straightforward website would really do wonders. The NASCC site has no useful information (and even still links to the WCMA rules from 2011), this site is painfully hard to use (there is no need for one security question, nevermind two, for a site that gets so little traffic. Nevermind that I usually have to try at them a few times because the letters are always so hard to read) , Speedway is now down (not taking anything away from what they did as I think it was awesome!)...

The ONLY reason I am getting into racing this season is because Mike E was kind enough last year to allow me to drive with him in the Chumpcar 36. After that I was hooked and dug for the information I wanted. I have been borderline annoying on the straightpipe site, but it's because I don't know where else to look.

This is why I would be a fan of the NASA rule set. You can cage and race what ever you have. Just add up the points and you'll fit in somewhere... BUT as I said before... I'm new and my opinion on that doesn't count for much as I've still learning. Although as far as new drivers coming out to race, I know exactly how it feels.

I realize that an updated site would take work, but it takes less work them running a 101 seminar, changing rules, and a lot of the other things I see going on. Using the NASCC site as an example,in the "Racing -> getting Started" it has a half page of almost entirely useless information and then some links that a new person will certainly get lost in. It STILL doesn't even have information up about the 101 Seminar. I've I wasn't activly on these forums, and digging for information then I would have no idea it's even happening. :S Infact, again it was Mike who tracked me down to make sure I knew about the 101 Seminar...

*Edit* Just had to try for times to make that post thanks to the letters. lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:28:02 AM by Spec Volcanic »

March 10, 2014, 02:01:35 AM
Reply #4

zhao

• Information

Chrisw,
I'm curious to hear your opinion as a new-comer.  You say that NASCC's 'Getting Started' page wasn't helpful.  What would you have liked to see there?

Chris

Chrisw isn't out to lunch. I probably encountered the exact same roadblocks and frustrations he had. If i was to list every specific thing it would be a very long essay, and i rather just write a solution another day then write a detailed complaint today so here is a very vague answer to that question from my point of view.

1) the nascc website gave absolutely no useful info. its about twice as good now then when i first tried to navigate it now that the links actually work and there is a little bit of info (but still almost no info that is useful to anyone new), but it still terrible for anyone new to the sport. It is clear the road race section was written by someone who probably has 10+ years under their belt and probably can't remember how little a newbie would know about the sport in this province. I like to sum the nascc website up like this: here are some extremely boring pdf's on rules that are hundreds of pages long that you will have no idea what they mean until you actually come racing, and even then will need to read them 10 times. no we wont tell you how classes work, how races work, or any entry level info. no we wont tell you what you actually need to come racing, what that stuff costs, or what it costs to actually race in this province until you have already been racing for a year. If you want 5% of that info you should come to an nascc meet with 20-30 people who you dont know and stand up and ask questions. Congratulations if you are the most extrovert person in the world because you might figure it out before you find a hobby that is easier to get info on.

I've had ideas on how to fix this for a long time, communicated them before and all taht, but nothing changed. Its what i want to see change the most on that website, and i will write out what i think will solve the problem, but work's been retardedly busy the last 3 months so I didn't get around to putting anything together yet. My memory is getting a little long in the tooth for remembering everything i wanted to know starting out but couldn't find answers to, so it won't be super easy to make a simple answer sheet newbies can understand on how to actually go racing here; i expect it'll probably take me hours and hours to actually think out something that isn't a half assed fix. If we use what i'll write out, great, if not whatever.

....oh, and I still loath that line that says "road racing, like ice racing......." that's pretty much like answering some american kid's question of 'what's baseball?' with, oh its like danish longball!. 7 billion people on this planet and mere hundreds ice race. its safe to say anyone looking for a definition of road racing doesn't know wtf ice racing is. Nothing proves more clearly that whole section was written to the wrong target market then that one line.

2) the wcma website is terrible. Yes, its volunteer based, and no, i wouldn't envy the person who gets to update that someday, but it looks like a 1990 website, which is fine if its functional, but it has almost no info on it that is useful to anyone except someone who already races. Not one person will be attracted to road racing after reading that site or have a clue as to what to do except to hopefully click on the club websites and hopefully they answer questions. man are they in for some disappointment when they do click on a club website too lol.

3) the saving grace for the wcma website sucking should be the forum. Complete opposite is true. You know it took me something like 3 years to actually get an account on here that worked? years of trying and not having my account approved, or being labeled as a spam account or god knows what. and then once the account is approved, you have no activity on this forum because well, no one can get an account approved and you have to waste 60 seconds every time you post figuring out the answer to two questions. if it takes 3 years to get an account approved on here, you dont need 2 questions answered before each post, and if u have 2 questions that needt obe answered to post, you dont need a 3 year approvals process for new accounts (it should be instant). Ya, and i know someone reading this right now is thinking, its just me, clearly I dont know what i'm doing with computers, there is nothing wrong with the forum, because they signed up just fine. ya, its just me, and most everyone I know who also tried to sign up for this forum and had the same exact problems lol. There is a problem with this forum.

4) where the hell is the info on open wheel racing in alberta? Open wheel racing has no chance imo of growing, or even surviving in this province. As bad as closed wheel is for making it impossible for people to get into it unless they have infinite motivation, open wheel is about 1000000x worse. The only way you could make it harder for people to actually do open wheel here is to hire some snipers to take out anyone who is ballsy enough to just buy a damn open wheel car and show up/register it accidentally on the one time there is open wheel racing a year here. what happens if open wheel's car count dwindles to the point where there is so few of them there is no choice but to not give them a run group? open wheel will then have almost zero chance of making a comeback in this province if that happens.

anyway, for the topic, i dont see how class rules will change car counts significantly. you want to increase car counts, you gotta make it easier for people to race and that is a far bigger picture then just class rules.

- that means revamping licensing so we aren't telling people who have licenses in other places to piss off until they take out road race school. Someone else signed off on them with similar criteria, surely that means they aren't a complete idiot, and if they are, we pass almost every single person every year that takes the school anyway. I know it'd be a cold day in hell before i took another road race school to race in bc or montana especially if i had to make a special trip to do so.
- that means making it cheap to race. I'm sorry but if you want to attract young people, gl with the way things are currently setup. Its fine for people estabilished in life with gobs of money, but young people generally aren't loaded and can't afford to get into thsi sport even when they do make a lot of money. $500+ fire suppression, $150+ belts that expire after 2 years or 500+ ones that expire after 5 (seriously what are these things made out of that they are deadly to use when they merely were just stored in a box for a couple years?), $500 racing suit and helmet if you go cheapcheap, and you really shouldn't go cheap, $500 transponder, $600 racing school + $300 in misc to take it and actually get the license, $700 hans device, jerry cans, basic tools, jack, stands, billion other minor bs things, etc. you're looking at about $4500 minimum before you even factor in the cost of a race car, all the wear and tear stuff, or tow rig, or trailer, and that's before you factor in what each race costs. Its a huge list of upfront expenses you gotta buy and the list jsut keeps getting longer. I know what it cost me to make the transition from lapping to road racing, and it was well over 30g, and even after dumping that, and being the type of person that is willing to spend 100% of my disposable income on racing, i can tell you, some may think if it costs 30g to get into the sport or whatever, that who cares about hundreds here and there, that wont make a diff, but 500 here or a couple hundred there, actually does make a difference to me. I'm likely not racing this coming year except for the enduro because of all the extra costs this year. If i'm in that boat, having been single for years with almost no real expenses, I'm sure i'm not the only one. When i'm married all i gotta say is, it was a smart decision of mine to buy all the racing shit before i got married, cuz zero chance i would be allowed to do that after, and the racing expenses are going to get scrutinized even more so when I do get married.

I have a lot more to say on attracting more people to this sport but no one is probably stil reading this by this point anyway so this is long enough as is.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:28:31 AM by Spec Volcanic »

March 10, 2014, 05:08:59 AM
Reply #5

10cc

• Information
  • WCMA Affiliate Executive
  • ARCA Race Director
Good post Zhao.

One thing though....nobody ever said racing was going to be cheap. The safety stuff is critical. The rest is up to the competitor more or less. I remember Trent driving his CC RX-7 from Edmonton to Calgary with all his stuff in the back, running hard all weekend,, and driving home. Cost....very little.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:28:41 AM by Spec Volcanic »
G. Brooke Carter
#10 ST5
ARCA Race Director

March 10, 2014, 02:05:23 PM
Reply #6

SputnikRSS

• Information
I guess I can help with #4

The way to get into openwheel racing is to get a hold of one of the current openwheel racers and pretty much all of them will help you to the ends of the earth to get you in a car.

Jed emails me when he gets a request or question from a possible new openwheel racer as well as us responding to any of the forums we monitor. I do agree that it would be best to have a section with a form for new racers to fill on the NASCC/WCMA/ARCA websites that get forwarded to whomever is in charge then sent out to members of the club that have volunteered to mentor new drivers trying to get into the sport. Mentors could volunteer in general or for certain classes etc.

I disagree that openwheel is dying in Alberta we have more cars now than when I started we have more FC's (10-12) than any other class in Alberta other than maybe SM now. But this does not translate into racing more in Alberta it seems. The Race city situation (Needing a mouth guard when racing) to the current lack of a paddock at Castrol make it difficult to run openwheel cars more so than the street car with a cage and fuel cell. This season i believe we will only be at Castrol 2 maybe 3 times as the schedule doesn't mesh well with teh NWFC schedule and the lack of paddock space available.

The current best way into OW is a post on a forum and we find you or you find the Apexspeed forum.
(example) - http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62461

Have been talking back and forth with this guy and hope to have him out to the track this season to see what its all about. Also hope to have him by the garage to get the feel of FC in there most natural environment (on jack stands)

Websites for OW

www.apexspeed.com

The new northwest FC series - www.northwestfc.net

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:29:32 AM by Spec Volcanic »

March 10, 2014, 04:40:59 PM
Reply #7

ChrisS

• Information
  • Global Moderator
  • Alberta Spec Miata Championship Coordinator
This is getting fairly off topic, and should be a separate thread (Moderator?).

Chrisw isn't out to lunch. I probably encountered the exact same roadblocks and frustrations he had. If i was to list every specific thing it would be a very long essay, and i rather just write a solution another day then write a detailed complaint today so here is a very vague answer to that question from my point of view.

Yet another Chris,

I was not suggesting that Chrisw was out to lunch, but rather looking for what you have offered; a solution to make it better.  PM me your email address and I would be happy to work with you to develop a nice 'how to get into road racing' page for the WCMA website.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:29:47 AM by Spec Volcanic »
Spec Miata #13

March 17, 2014, 11:30:53 AM
Reply #8

Spec Volcanic

• Information
  • Global Moderator
This is getting fairly off topic, and should be a separate thread (Moderator?).

Topic split as best I could

March 18, 2014, 04:23:50 PM
Reply #9

Spec Volcanic

• Information
  • Global Moderator

Chrisw,
I'm curious to hear your opinion as a new-comer.  You say that NASCC's 'Getting Started' page wasn't helpful.  What would you have liked to see there?

Chris

3) the saving grace for the wcma website sucking should be the forum. Complete opposite is true. You know it took me something like 3 years to actually get an account on here that worked? years of trying and not having my account approved, or being labeled as a spam account or god knows what. and then once the account is approved, you have no activity on this forum because well, no one can get an account approved and you have to waste 60 seconds every time you post figuring out the answer to two questions. if it takes 3 years to get an account approved on here, you dont need 2 questions answered before each post, and if u have 2 questions that needt obe answered to post, you dont need a 3 year approvals process for new accounts (it should be instant). Ya, and i know someone reading this right now is thinking, its just me, clearly I dont know what i'm doing with computers, there is nothing wrong with the forum, because they signed up just fine. ya, its just me, and most everyone I know who also tried to sign up for this forum and had the same exact problems lol. There is a problem with this forum.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your feedback,  I have just started doing some Moderating on this Forum.

I think you will that the approval time as greatly approved, as unless the IP is from a crazy location I'm approving accounts on my BB. The auto spam filters on this forum seem quite look so the admin's have been manually approving every account as spam protection, at least for the short term this will be but I will be try to ensure they are all reviewed and approved quickly.

I never tried to post before becoming an admin so I never experienced the question before posting, but I have found that the security setting were set to require a security question before the each users first 10 posts, I have reduced this requirement to only a new users first posts.