Author Topic: R888 opinions  (Read 18247 times)

September 15, 2009, 11:48:28 AM
Reply #15

streetywise guy

Wow! How did you get them to wear away on the outside and have tread left in the middle?  I have dropped as low as 22 to 24 lbs cold and they are still wearing more in the middle.

Interesting result with the durometer.

Not middle, inside.  Mine wear in the middle and at the edge of the sidewall where they roll over.

Jon- I have made them very greasy on the Neon by pushing hard.  Remember you don't race a Civic anymore!

October 01, 2009, 04:50:31 PM
Reply #16

irmechanic

Are you trying to say I don't push it anymore Jim?  LOL!!

October 01, 2009, 07:13:58 PM
Reply #17

streetywise guy

Are you trying to say I don't push it anymore Jim?  LOL!!

Just pointing out the spare half a ton or so you're carryin around now, dude.  I went the other way- spent 20 years autocrossing an 82 Camaro- sometimes with a blower- I know all about greasy tires.

October 02, 2009, 05:55:40 AM
Reply #18

irmechanic

My spare half a ton or so were still in front of you big guy!!   LOL!  And fun was had by all.

November 05, 2009, 06:03:49 AM
Reply #19

4kruzn

not to pick on the spec rx7 guys, but your opinions of tire wear and performance are poorly formed.   you have to remember your running tires that should be on 8 inch rims on 5.5inch rims.   you would easily double your tread life with some decent size rims.   the 888 are a tire that requires more attention to detail.  rims, alignment, tire pressure, etc.   the spec cars can do little to set up for this.

November 05, 2009, 10:46:15 AM
Reply #20

10cc

Thanks for the confidence in our abilities. We spend a lot of time and effort on pressure, temp, camber.

You may note that many other people, including the entire Spec Miata series in the US share our opinions.

November 05, 2009, 08:19:16 PM
Reply #21

4kruzn

sorry,  i wrote that too early.  what i meant by that is you have no rear alignment adj at all, you have rims that are 2" to narrow for the tire, etc.   the ra1 was better in that it is super forgiving.  the 888 is not.  it needs to have the set up correct.   really correct.   my self included...  i may actually be at the top of the heap,  most amateur racers and autocrossers don't take the kind of time to set up a car for the tires. I'm still not sure i know how to set up a car the right way...lol   then, blame tires if it doesn't work.    i could throw ra1's on a bone stock 20year old rx7 and they would work.   the car would have positive camber and toe in.    throw 888's at that car and they would not work at all.   we have all been spoiled some what with the ease of use that the ra1 has given us.  my opinion.   the 888 is a better tire.  "if car is set up for them"  proper rim sizing and tire for car.   they are faster and wear out quicker.  thats racing...

November 06, 2009, 11:42:48 AM
Reply #22

10cc

Hey, I know what you mean...we are very limited with our potential for set-up....yet guys who can do a lot with them still don't like them.

I guess what we don't like most of all is that they seem to go off way faster. As the season went on, we all got better at making them last physically, but as for grip, they just never really worked for us at all. We would all be happy to go back to the RA1, as they have in Spec Miata, but we are a big enough deal to make Toyo bring back our size